Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Back to School

Getting back into the swing of things in Dublin has been an exciting transition thus far! Its been wonderful to see my classmates again- especially my girlfriends- and I am so looking forward to this semester. I love my classes, love the material I am learning, and actually love writing these essays (well, until I get a mark that changes my mind).
Today was a busy, yet delightful, day. Got up early this morning and met Chessa at the gym (New Years resolution #1, so far, so good). I ran two miles and then beat the hell out of my upper body- tomorrow I am confidant I will be physically unable to move my arms. Afterwards I went to the cafe to read, read, read! Every spare moment of my life lately has been reading- researching for my essay all the live long day, reading Capote with Jared, trying to expand my knowledge of religion... though I complain, I must admit, deep down I bloody love it. I just hope I am retaining this information!
When I finally managed to pull my nose out of "Fair Trade for All" I headed home, though after being accosted by the sale signs in the windows at Cleary's all week, I finally succombed to the temptation. As predicted, I did not come out empty-handed. Hello, beautiful wrap around dress, sitting on the clearance rack. I then ran home, had a protein shake (resolution #2- be more healthy), and got ready for a night out on the town with the girls-- a protest and a movie!
We were protesting in front of Mount Joy Prison; a Nigerian woman is being held in there for deportation after not gaining refugee status for herself and her two girls. She came to Ireland after her oldest daughter died as a result of female genital mutilation- she fled so her other two other girls would not have to undergo the procedure. Thus far, the Irish Minister of Justice has not granted her refugee status, but her case goes before the High Court Monday, so we shall see. You know you're a peace studies student when a night on the town involves a little civil disobedience.
Afterwards the girls and I came back to our flat for a little veg out and a big binge- five girls and lots of pizza- it was good craic. The perfect end to a busy day. Not so bad, this back to school business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home