Monday, February 27, 2006

I Predict a Riot

This weekend Dublin was, in a word, INSANE.

Friday night was one of the last nights of Dublin's International Film Festival so Ann and I decided to take the night off and go see "Proof"- one of my favorite plays by David Auburn. It was as good as I had hoped- Gwyneth was brilliant, Jake was endearing, and Anthony was fierce. I loved it.

Saturday was spent working hard/ hardly working on my essay. However my peaceful afternoon was interrupted by riots, yes riots, in city centre. Just as I settled in with my law journal article and cup o' joe, Nuggie called to say she was downtown to show her sister the sites when she turned the corner and cars were set ablaze; she turned around and went home... I got my shoes on and went out.

Anytime there is a Love Ulster parade I expect trouble, though I cannot say I anticipated this much trouble. When I had scurried down to the city centre to view the aftermath, I was shocked to find it had been a full scale battle, complete with smoke bombs, overturned vehicles, and violence. Almost every store front window on O'Connell street was shattered, and dozens were sent to the hospital. It would have been unfortunate to be wearing orange this weekend.




1 Comments:

At 12:39 PM, Blogger Jess said...

That's insane!

Hope everything's going well with you :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home